Re: Error when using the jdbcType NVARCHAR with H2

"Actually JDBC metadata is not a reliable source of information in all or almost all drivers, don't trust it."

Says much, about the attitude in the "database community" to a standard that was intended to limit the amount of hardcoding of database specific nonsense in downstream software ("some other JDBC driver churns out untrustworthy results from this so we don't have to"). As do his later comments regarding "good frameworks" (attempt to distract attention from the output from JDBC and whether JDBC provides what is required to express his databases support) ... aka unconstructive. Needless to say I won't be having anything to do with such crap.

If they simply treat NVARCHAR as VARCHAR and seemingly have no plan of ever supporting it, then you should use VARCHAR.